INDOMANIA POTTERY VILLAGE TOUR - part I

I'm totally going to have to share this experience in pieces ... it was that cool ... and I have THAT many photos.

Up first?  The story behind the story.  The details and the reason behind the experience.

This is a half picture of Piyush (I couldn't get a better picture of him during the whole time we were together as my camera was being pulled in too many directions, with all of the wonderful photo opportunities)


He runs Indomania  :: 

a Delhi-based travel company specialized in offering unique and authentic cultural experiences by facilitating cultural engagement with the local communities. India is a land of diverse cultures and a 5000 year old history. We take a lot of pride in this and therefore strive hard to provide an insight into the Indian society, its customs, cuisine, arts & crafts, history and folklore, etc.
There’s no better way to experience a country than to interact with locals. We make sure that people-to-people interaction is an integral part of our tours, therefore guaranteeing maximum cultural exposure. Our journeys take you not only to the periodic cities of India, but also to villages immensely rich in culture, often ignored by many. These villages are rich in myth and legend, with musical, culinary and handicraft traditions that have been passed down for generations.
Don’t just see India. Instead learn, discover and experience it.

Pam recently set up a tour with Piyush for the AWA members.  That tour filled to capacity within 2 days, I think? I successfully reserved a spot, but the littles were sick, so I was unable to go.  Pam scheduled a second tour (due to popular demand) but my schedule didn't allow for me to go that day.  So I pulled together some gals who were also unable to go previously and we went on the third tour.

It was getting hot in the city of New Delhi (after all, it WAS March and Holi had come and gone, meaning summer was bound to be upon us!).  I was a bit nervous as we set out that morning.  I had no idea what to expect and had heard mixed reviews from those who had gone before us on previous tours.

The tour takes you to a pottery village in the outskirts of Delhi, where hundreds of potter families from Rajasthan have settled permanently.  It was crazy to be so close to Delhi proper, yet feel like you were out in the middle of nowhere.  It was quiet, peaceful, serene and not ONE person asked me for a thing while we were on the tour.  I was able to enjoy my morning ... in an environment that felt very honest and not touristy in the slightest.

Yet at the same time that I noticed it didn't feel like a typical tourist location, I also didn't feel like the odd man out.  I didn't feel self-conscious at all about being there, didn't feel as though I were invading their home.  I was a welcome visitor ... smiles abounded and were passed around like candy. 

What I think I was the most excited about was that we were going on a tour, yet the proceeds FROM this tour benefits the village itself.  Piyush has developed this tour in cooperation with South Asia Foundation, a non-profit working for the upliftment of the poor with special emphasis on crafts sector.  Most of the money goes to the Village Development Fund, which is used for the benefit of overall village community and not only those who render their services for the tour.
 
A sneak peak?








I'll be back soon with more photos of the day ... but be warned, it may take several days to share all of the images, memories and experiences with you!

If you want to get in touch with Piyush to schedule a tour, email him at info@indomaniatours.com or call him at (91) 88602 23456.  Tell him the AWA sent you, and don't hesitate to contact me directly if you'd like more details on how to best cater this tour to your needs/liking (based on our experience with the three separate AWA tours).

 

CNN.com