LITTLE WORKER BEES

I have a really good work ethic.  I started working when I was still in my early teenage years.  As a young single mother, I held up to three jobs at one time so that I could make ends meet and care for Terran as a little pipsqueak.  My work ethic came from a combination of the example that was set for me by my grandparents and my mother.  Husb also has a great work ethic, one established for him by HIS parents. 

So you would say, we make a great team!  We both started work early, we work HARD and the jobs we hold have never been glamorous.  We have NO problems instilling that same amazing work ethic into our offspring!

Pause.  That's not all true.  I have to admit that we are struggling a bit when it comes to the "instilling a great work ethic" part.

When we moved to India, I had grand illusions (or delusions, rather) that our three kids would see their surroundings, witness the poverty of a "third world country" and be pliable in their belief system concerning work ethic, being grateful and thankful and appreciate everything that they have and are given.

Two things have surprised me.  While they are decidedly MUCH less materialistic than they EVER were back in the United States, they still are very selfish with their belongings and their stuff.  They also have NO work ethic.  Not a one of them.

Cleaning up their messes is done by someone else.  Pouring a glass of milk is done by someone else.  Getting themselves dressed?  Not a chance. Brushing their teeth? By force.  Even buckling their seatbelts is someone else's job.

On a recent trip out of Delhi, I had the opportunity to see many examples of what work ethic means.  These little worker bees all were under the age of 12 (or so I'd guess).  I don't know their families and am not aware of their specific situation, but I would guess that not a one of them attends school, but instead has a very stringent work day lined out for them from sunrise to sundown.  












After we returned home from our trip, Mia happened to whinge a bit about having "just rice for dinner."  It flew all over me (southern term for 'pissed me off') and I whipped out my laptop and said "You come sit with me, young lady."

Off I went on a diatribe of showing her these photos and asking her what she thought THEY ate every day for dinner.  I asked whether she thought THEY complained to their mother about eating the same thing every night.  Then I asked her how SHE would feel if she had to do this kind of work EVERY day, to help her family.

She looked up at me with a strange look on her face and said "I'm bored."

Sigh.
The lesson was not lost on me though.  I realized that in trying to force upon her an idea of someone else's work ethic, that I was pushing her farther away from any sort of perspective.  

Instead of showing her these photos and expecting her to understand, I need to better train her to be responsible for the things that DO matter to her, in her little world.  

Of course the image of the little boy struggling to get the cow to move according to his wishes isn't going to resonate with her, but maybe the request for her to help out more with the dog WILL stick.

I'm sure that the photo of the young lady washing the family's clothes (while watching her younger sister) doesn't mean much to her, but I bet that being responsible to carry her OWN clothes down to the washroom might be a good start?

When the little boy squatted down to clear the roadway of debris (in preparation for asphalt to be laid), I realized that Mia should be doing a bit more to contribute to picking up before dinner, or especially after playdates.

I hope that in the coming years, we are able to better instill a work ethic in our children that even THEY will be proud of.  If work ethic is passed down from generation to generation, we'd better get busy!


What say you?  Is work ethic something that comes naturally to some and not for others?  Is it strictly a result of good parenting, or does it run in the genes?  How old is TOO old to still learn a good work ethic?  Would love to hear your thoughts!


CNN.com