Leaving ...

I'm up to my ears in suitcases.

Trying to balance all of the crap we need to take back amongst the suitcases, and make sure we're at the right weight ...

Trying to decide what needs to be ON plane with us for the 18 hours we will be away from electricity.

Trying to enjoy our last 24 hours here in Ohio, even though I'm a complete wreck because of the snow and the impending flight. I won't even go into the details of the disaster of our flight itinerary/reservations getting canceled.

In the midst of all of this trying ... I am thankful for the time we got to spend with in Ohio ... with those that we love - and that love us back.

It is a strange life to live [that of being an "overseas family"] in more ways than I could ever adequately explain. What helps to keep us grounded though, is knowing that we have lasting relationships with so many ... across the ocean and beyond.

I am leaving Ohio with mixed emotions. Sad that I didn't get to see "our people" in Nebraska and Georgia because we chose Ohio. Melancholy about seeing photos from my family's gathering over Christmas/New Years and missing out. Full with love of those we were able to see while we were here. Missing out on those whose plans were interrupted because of the massive white stuff that fell from the sky.  Feeling as though we've never left.  Realizing that it seems like years since we started this process.

I am sooooo ready to see my Husb. He selflessly suggested this trip in the first place because he knew it would do us good. He stayed behind and worked so that we would "save" that vacation time for the upcoming summer trip. We have missed him terribly and are anxious to see him at the airport ... on the Delhi side.

Once again we are leaving ... and I'm typing from the SAME hotel room that I composed THIS POST.

I wonder if the leaving ever gets easier ... or if the going home ever gets simpler.

Thank you to all who opened their homes and schedules to make time for us while we were stateside in the snowglobe.

Memories of making snowmen, morning coffee in "the bathtub", margaritas and being likened to 'that journalist's wife', an afternoon with Chuck E., ringing in the New Year, visits to the boys' old schools, lunches and the gym with the guys, fruit snacks and wine in the old 'hood, sleepovers and sleeping in, breakfast with the businessmen, playing Rummikub ... they will be cherished!

CNN.com