Tomorrow, madam

I try to be a patient person.

Really, I do.

In fact, I just posted recently about how I think Delhi might just change me into a patient person. 

There are loud guffaws right now coming from the other side of the Husb's computer as he reads this post .... "Naomi?  Patient?""

I am SO SO SO SO TIRED, FED UP and DONE with hearing the words "tomorrow, madam"

There ... I've said it.

I try not to just vent or be frustrated on this blog, because there IS a moral to most every story, and most often - if I'm willing to look for it - a lesson can be learned.

But in this case, I'm at my wit's end and just pissed off and angry.

If I need something ... I am willing to wait for the appropriate date/time.  If something needs to be repaired, I don't really expect it to be TODAY ...  if I pick something out at the market and ask it to be delivered, I don't really need it TODAY.

But if you say "TOMORROW" then it damn well better be here TOMORROW.

I don't have enough fingers and toes on this body to count the times I've been told "tomorrow" repeatedly for days on end.

What typically happens is something like this :

Day 1 : I ask Shanti to call Alpha Flames to have more cooking gas cylinders ordered for the house.

Day 2 : I forget completely about this request, because Shanti will "just handle" this aspect of my life.

Day 3 : Shanti meekly says to me "Ma'am, the gas cylinder has not come."  I say "can you call again?"

Day 4 : Shanti says (again, very meekly) "Ma'am, I've called 4 times and still no gas cylinders."

Day 5 : I ask Shanti whether we have cooking gas and she says "No, and we are nearly out of gas."  I then call Alpha Flames dude and after five telephone calls whereby either the call is lost or our voices are garbled, I finally reach the main guy in charge.  After arguing for 10 minutes about the cooking gas cylinders, he promises ... TOMORROW.

Day 6 : No gas cylinders.  I am pretty much frustrated at this point because it seems you have to get just ANGRY and screaming to get anything done. So I get angry, start screaming and yelling.  Again?  Am promised TOMORROW.   Shweeeeeew! (I think to myself)  I took care of THAT (I again think to myself).

Day 7 : NO FREAKING CYLINDERS.  Seriously?

 * * *

Maybe what frustrates me is that I've a list of things a mile long of things that are to happen TOMORROW.   I need an assistant to keep track of all of the items on the punch list that were promised to be done tomorrow ... but will likely still be waiting to be checked off two weeks from now.

Is it possible to live in this city and maintain a normal heart rate when trying to get things done?  Do you at some point master the ability to "act pissed" just long enough to get your way ... and then resume what you were previously doing without missing a beat?

If you ask most people, you hear that you HAVE to be pushy to get what you need.  You have to "stand on their heads" to make sure it's done right.  You have to get upset, yell and be mad in order to have things completed.



Maybe instead of letting my blood pressure raise to a boiling point, I just need to plaster a stupid smile on my face, and the next time I hear that word ... simply nod and say "Tika Acha."

CNN.com