Crabby!


That's mom in my kitchen ... intent on finding out how to make california rolls.  Recently Pam and I visited the japanese store (in Safdarjung Enclave) and got an inklin' for sushi!  We got the seaweed, rice and wasabi.  Pam scored the crab sticks and avocados later in the week and we set to making our very own!


It really took me forever and a day to visualize what mom was reading and actually duplicate it on my kitchen counter.


Tony was ready and EXCITED to help.  This kid loves his sushi!


So the Great Internet said to just tuck, roll, press, and roll some more.

Sounds easy, right?



Man ... I need more practice!




Looks pretty, right?  It was super pretty UNTIL we dunked it into soy sauce and they promptly fell apart!

We learned the following about novice california rolls ::
  • use sticky rice
  • use crabmeat that is moist!
  • use ripe avocado
  • make sure your vegetables are completely cooked through and soft
Another thing we learned?  Don't buy crab - - no matter how "fresh" they appear to be - - from INA Market!  I know ... I should know better.  But when I took mom ... they just looked SO good and I miss crab SO much that I had to buy it ...
By the time Shanti had boiled it and consulted the Great Internet (again) on how to open the things, we only ended up with a small smidgeon of edible crab for each of us.  The rest of it was black.  

Guess what the number one thing we learned as we googled "how to cook crabs" ??  "DONT EAT CRAB MEAT IF IT TURNS BLACK AFTER COOKING"

Lesson learned!

CNN.com