The post about how Delhi has changed me.

This is a completely superficial post about how Delhi has changed me.  Fair warning.  No comments necessary about how lame and pathetic it is that I'm choosing to write about this.  Y'all know that Delhi/India has changed me in more ways than just the words that follow.


Moving on ... 


Before we moved here, I was always encouraged by the Husb to go shopping and get some new clothes.  We enjoyed going out - once a year or so - to get some new threads for myself.  I typically shrugged him off, and always put up a fight when he suggested I buy this dress, or that pair of pants.  I was completely comfortable in my yoga pants, running tanks and sometimes even a pair of jeans and a cute t-shirt.  


The Husb did finally get me to add some great linen capris, some darling dresses and a pair of phenomenal black tailored pants to my closet ... and then right before we moved to Delhi, I did an on-my-own shopping trip and scored some great stuff.  


Malls bore me to tears, and I hate paying full price for ANY piece of clothing.
I'm a huge bargain shopper and am a sucker for thrift stores.  I actually became a regular at the Salvation Army near our home in Ohio ... and went ONLY on the 50% off days!


Anyway, since the minute we arrived here and I saw the vibrancy and amazing palette of colors that I was surrounding with, I decided to leave the jeans in the drawer and save the workout clothes ONLY for literally to/from the gym.  


I have become a necklace, earring AND bracelet wearing freak and feel completely unkempt on the days that I walk out of the house without my jewelry.  





I haven't worn jeans in months and my camo capris (used to be a sad day in the Hattaway house when they were in the laundry bin waiting to be washed!) are underneath my winter sweaters.


I have taken full advantage of the ability to "copy" great clothes that I see, and - at the Husb's insistence - participated in the "italian sale" last fall and scored some MAJOR darling clothes at prices even less than the 50% off sale at the neighborhood thrift store back in the States.


Just recently, I spent Rs. 1100 (about $23 USD) and brought home two huge bags of clothes from the American Women's Association Thrift Store. The proceeds from the Thrift Store go to help fund the Outreach programs that the AWA supports.


Someone asked me last week "how do you DO it?  Do you get up at like 5am every morning to get ready for the day?"  The answer is quite simple ... in my opinion ... pick a hairstyle that is simple (or put it up in a barrette/clip), put on some bling, wear a skirt instead of jeans/yoga pants and buy a tube of light colored lip gloss.


About a week ago, I was feeling a bit tired.  Woke up in the morning, feeling as though I was already hours behind schedule and just out of sorts.  I threw on those boring ole' yoga pants and a t-shirt and headed out the door to school drop-off.


It was if I had shaved my head, had mascara smudges ringing my eyes, with a trail of toilet paper hanging off of my shoe.  As I walked the school campus to drop off Tony at his classroom, I was asked "Are you ok?"  Friends said "You look like you don't feel well?"  


When I questioned why they would ask if I was ok ... and the answer was something like "because you always dress up, look cute and seem like everything is always good in your world."


Back to how Delhi has changed me.  I've always been an uber confident person ... someone who doesn't really care what other people think of me.  


It's been so much fun to let the colors and boldness of India help to express what's on the inside.


Of course, having the girls (Shanti, Shakuntella and Sushila) tend to the normal housekeeping tasks at home sure makes it easier for me to take some extra time in the morning to 'doll up'.  I'm really starting to enjoy having it be a normal part of my day!


See - totally superficial!  


(I WILL get back to posting photos about sights and travels in Delhi ... will write soon about my mom's visit to India ... and even though I said I wouldn't keep track, pssst :: I'm on Day 10 of not smoking!)

CNN.com