It's not polite to stare

When the Husb and I decided we were moving to Delhi, the first thing I did was read all of the "must read" literature.  I read about sterilizing our veggies, and triple boiling our water. I memorized the chapters on which markets had which finds, and absorbed all I could about the temperatures and the monsoons.  I wrote list after list about what I would need to pack with us from the United States.

One thing that kept leaving me scratching my head was the admonition :: "do not return the stares of men that you pass on the street."

I thought to myself ... well, how absurd.

I was warned - through more books than one - that women are not to hold the gaze of the local men ... as it might invite unwelcome behavior or attention.

Then, I thought to myself ... is it really that bad?

I did more research and read more books.  I read articles, blogs from overseas moms, and more books about living life as an expat.  The common thread was that eye contact is a bad thing.

Fast forward to today.

When I'm being driven to and fro ... often I'm stared at.  While parked at a stoplight, I glance over to find the drivers of 10 motorcycles all staring back at me - without inhibition.

When I'm walking in the market and attempting to find shampoo and conditioner ... it's as if I've got four heads.

Even when I arrive home after a full day of sometimes nothing-ness, the guards on our street (even though they see me EVERY DAY) ... stare ... as if I've recently arrive from Planet Z-wawa. 

I'm not even THAT "expat-y" of an expat!  I don't have blonde hair, blue eyes or pale skin.  I'm not one of the main girls who sticks out in a crowd, and get spoken to in Hindi quite a bit!



Whether you choose to smile back, not make eye contact, stare in return or lower your gaze, it's difficult to teach your kiddos the age-old lesson, it's not polite to stare!

CNN.com