Sprouts


One of the first days after we arrived, we took our memorable first trip to the INA Market and I saw the "sprouts"


Apparently a controversial addition to the landscape of Delhi, I think they're pretty cool!


The Spouts were created at a cost of Rs 4 crore (which is about $878,154 USD ... I think ... my math and conversion capabilities leave A LOT to be desired). 

When I googled "sprouts in Delhi" most of what I came up with was heated discussions about the cost of the artwork and how they don't have any rightful place in the city ... some even called the display "a waste."

I can understand about the cost.  Art can always be viewed as a wasteful use of money.  When there are so many other things that this money COULD have been spent on, I would swing to the side of the argument that it was indeed a heck of a lot of money to spend on shiny silver things.

However, there also seems to be alot of disgust from Delhi-ites simply in reaction to these pieces of art having a PLACE in Delhi.   Designer Vibhor Sogani (along with Jindal Steel) created the sculptures and I happen to agree with him, that it creates an "oasis" and a shiny bit of bling in the middle of a dirty and sometimes overwhelming city.  


What do you think? Is art wasteful? Are there some locations or cities that are more appropriate for large displays of art to be exhibited?

CNN.com