Mama Naomi

It's not TOO terribly cliche to write a post to my mother on Mother's Day, is it?



Enjoying apple martinis with mom at Manre today.

It's interesting to think back on my childhood and time with my Mama Naomi (the Swahili way of referring to a mother ... by using their firstborn child's name to follow the word 'Mama').

If you only know me, and haven't had the pleasure of meeting mom, you would say (as so many do) that I am SO much like her, yet so different.

Mom ... you are ::

Determined
Gutsy (who else would enjoy living in the bush of Africa?)
a wordsmith :
n.
1. A fluent and prolific writer.
2. An expert on words.

Creative
Loyal (in more ways than one)
Smart (even though you say things don't soak into your brain as you learn)
Steadfast
A lover of the earth and all things beautiful
Introspective
Motivated
Not one to easily give up
Incredibly interesting

You enjoy your grandkids to the nth degree.  Playing, reading, cuddling, crafting, cooking, photographing, singing, teaching.  Three out of your four children have their OWN children and (although we all parent in different ways) we all have huge pieces of carry over parenting wisdom that YOU instilled in each of us.

You have the patience of a saint.  really, you do.  Homeschooling four children, as a single parent, on a yearly income that would have made most mothers pull out their hair ... you simply "did the needful" day in and day out.

You taught me to work hard.  That money was just the necessary part of life to allow for sustenance and a roof over your head.  You led by example (and continue to do so) that you really don't need much money in order to have a happy and full life.

You taught me to relish in simple things like s'mores by the campfire, planting a garden and watching it grow.  Building a treehouse and cross country skiing.

You give of yourself to others, selflessly - because you know it will make THEM a better person.

You allowed each of us kids to be the individuals that we were born to be -- let us shine and flourish at things we were naturally good at, and  encouraged us to try again the things that we struggled with.

You taught me to play chess, told me to look up a word in the Dictionary if I didn't know its meaning, told me it was ok to not be good at math - as long as I could balance my checkbook, and you have never once put me down.

Lastly - but definitely not least - you taught me to be independent.  To speak my mind.  To follow my heart and as long as a decision was thought through, to go for it.  To be someone who didn't just follow the pack or wait for someone else to lead.

Thrilled that we're getting to spend this Mother's Day together!

I love you!

CNN.com