The roots of a friendship

I've been needing to write this post for awhile now ... but everytime I sit down to type, I get misty-eyed and boo-hooey (is that a word?) and I put it off for another day.

Today is the day however, and I need to start processing the fact that I'm leaving some amazing women, friendships and relationships.  I'm beginning to wonder just how military wives DO this on a regular basis!!  How do you begin to come to terms with leaving amazing relationships?

I am overwhelmed with the events that have been planned for me.  O.V.E.R.W.H.E.L.M.E.D.

The festivities started with a dinner with some girls from the running club. The conversation was lively, the company fantastic, the dessert heavy with calories and the memories priceless.  I received a charm to add to my running necklace, to commemorate the running club that was started during my time here.  I wear it daily!

The festivities continued with an intimate spa outing and wonderful dinner at The Melting Pot with another group of girls.  What a special night.  Loads of laughs, tons of tears and a plethora of memories I will carry with me!  I was presented with a Pandora bracelet and a charm from each of the women. Talk about a boo-hoo moment.  Each of the gals had chosen a charm that had a meaning to our relationship and that bracelet will also be worn daily.

The festivities carried forward with a henna party with women from various moms groups, playgroups and my "Planter Lady."  We sampled Indian fare, learned how to "turn the lightbulb" and enjoyed good wine, wonderful laughs and company AND amazing henna art.  At the end of the night, I was overwhelmed by a presentation of a crazy amount of charms to add to my Pandora bracelet.

Overwhelming.

(In fact, I'm on my way now to buy a second bracelet, because the charms I received do not fit on the ONE bracelet.)

I am blessed - TRULY blessed by my friendships.  I am fortunate to have friends all over the country, the world actually, and I don't take any of them for granted.

As I start to say goodbye to my friends in the snowglobe, I am sad and melancholy.  Frustrated by the lack of time I made to foster new friendships and mourning the opportunity to have MORE time with those women that I did connect with on a more intimate level.

The roots of friendship between women are strong, and sometimes twisted and tangled.  We attempt to maintain friendships with other women in the middle of raising children, fostering our relationships with our spouses and just "living life."

I am looking forward to continuing to nourish the roots of my friendships - via the internet.  I am a bit sad to know that some of them won't flourish.  Some of them will become memories and some won't continue to grow.

I am hopeful that with the addition of new friends to my circle, as we move across the ocean, that we all take some time ... or rather MAKE some time ... to ensure that our communication and sharing stays strong!

We all have so much to learn from each other.  When we honestly share our struggles and frustrations with each other, we are offering an opportunity to learn, to grow and to be better women.

When we - as women - take the time to open up to another woman ... we are presenting a gift to each other ... letting each other know that we are not alone in our attempts to live this life to the fullest.

Each of you - my dear friends - has touched me and enriched my life!  We have different reasons that we connected, different circumstances for each one of our friendships.  Regardless of how much time we spent together, or how we met originally - I have learned from you and appreciate the time you invested in our relationship.

Make the time to share more ... encourage more ... appreciate more ...

A great friend is truly hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.

CNN.com