Animals.

I have long struggled with the decision on what to do with the animals, and quite frankly am still struggling.

We have Donut the dog who just turned 2 ... and Jagels the cat who is about 7.

While the family enjoys both animals, they are animals that need constant care, attention and love.

When I start to think about taking the animals with us to India, I get very torn between leaving them here and taking them along.

THE FLIGHT:

First, there is the flight. Making sure that they can handle (as I'm sure they can) the 20+ hour flight, with layovers and such along the way.

THE VACCINATIONS:

In order for both of them to be fully vaccinated, I need to get them into the vet on or before March 21st (rapidly approaching). This one is an easy one, as they will eventually need these vaccinations anyway, so I'll make an appointment for them today.

THE HEALTH EXAM:

Both animals must have a health exam, performed by a vet within 10 days of their departure to India. This poses a problem, as we planned to leave the Cleveland area long before our actual flight to India. The same vet that administers the vaccinations also does the health exam.

LIFE IN INDIA:

We are taking two animals from a very lax life with plenty of room to roam, possibly to an apartment with no yard to speak of. Is that fair to a young dog?

We also would like to think that we'll have plenty of opportunities for fun weekend getaways to sightsee and be tourists.

HOME VISITS:

We fully intend to come back to the States at least once a year, with another school break at Christmas that we're not sure about what we'll plan to do. What do we do with the animals then? I don't like the kennel options over there, and I'm not sure I could trust our staff to properly care for them in our absence. Summer break is LONG and Christmas break is about three weeks.

QUARANTINE:


I'm getting mixed responses about quarantine. Apparently, in the past an animal returning to the States would be required to undergo six months of quarantine, with no contact with other animals and only short play times outside of their cages. This does NOT sound good to me at all. Recently though, I've heard that with proper vaccinations prior to their return, they don't require quarantine at all.

FINDING NEW HOMES:

Should we decide to leave the animals here, I am adamant that we find homes with people we KNOW. I do NOT want to simply give the dog/cat to the "first responder" and feel that if we choose to not take them, this is their best option. When we come home, the kids could visit, right?

EMOTIONS:

Todd feels that the animals will help ease the transition. He also feels that the kids will hold it against us if we don't take them along.

I feel that the animals will soon be forgotten members of our family once we get settled in. No one will want to do the kitty litter, just like here at home. Everyone will complain when I ask for poop patrol to be conducted. There will still be muddy paws, hair shedding all over and cat vomit because he eats too much in one sitting.

We'll have to ship in the cat's food, as he is on a special diet ... can only imagine how expensive that will be.

ADJUSTMENT:


I feel like there is going to be enough on my plate in the final weeks here, and in the beginning weeks there. I really think that adding a dog and cat to the mix who are stressed out and unsure of what is going on, is just adding TOO much.

I just am not sure what to think, decide or do.

I am hoping that one day ... in the near future ... I wake up and have an epiphany and the decision will be made and final ... until then this is just causing me angst!

CNN.com