Visas

I think I mentioned that I've divided the to-do list into sections and have assigned each task a week. Some items easily fit in the WEEK 1 category and others obviously can fall into later categories, like WEEK 9.

One of the list items that I had previously assigned to Week 8 was the Visa Applications for the kids and I. I just assumed that since they were only valid for ONE YEAR from the date they were approved, that the longer we waited, the longer they would be valid once we arrived in India.

Todd kept after me to get the Applications started and I'm so glad he did. Not until I caved and moved "Complete Visa Applications" from Week 8 to Week 4, did I realize that the kids' Applications MUST be signed by both parents, in order to be issued.

We gathered all of the required documentation, including Todd's needed signature (would have been kind of difficult to have acquired once he left on the 16th!) and I headed to the Post Office to ship them off.

If we learn nothing else through this process, we will have mastered the concept of "there is a first time for everything." I am consistently met with the question "You're moving WHERE?", followed soon after by "Well, I'm not really sure HOW to do that."

After 27 minutes in the Post Office, attempting to figure out how to send four Visa Applications, with delivery confirmation, as quickly as possible, BY registered mail AND with some kind of insurance in place for our passports (that must accompany the Visa Application), the Applications are on their way to the consulate in New York.

We will soon have our passports stamped with a pretty visa to India! Have Passport and Visa, will travel!

CNN.com