SUPER SPY

I have been a longtime fan and admirer of the Super Spy Lens via Photojojo ::


The basic gist is that you can be standing, facing forward ... camera out and pointed forward as well -- yet capture an image of someone standing to your left -- or to your right.

I wrote a long time ago about how shy I was when taking pictures.  I felt like I should ask permission.  I felt like I was being invasive.  I feel much more comfortable pretending to fiddle on my iPhone and discreetly take a photo that way 

(don't p'shaw me ... there are TONS of mobile phones in Delhi right now with photos of me and my kids on it!).

I can't tell you the number of times this lens has been "added to cart" and I've been SO close to pushing the "purchase" button.  I had it all figured out.  I'd have it shipped to my mother-in-law and next time the Husb goes to the United States, he'd just pick it up from her.  

But I've decided today that I'm not going to buy it.  First of all, the cost of one of these things would buy two legs for Jaipur Foot or the toiletry needs for the girls at Arushi Girls Shelter for awhile.  Secondly, I just need to get bolder about using my camera.

Capturing images in a place like Delhi is not about "sweetie, puh-leeze SMILE for me?" or "Terran, don't look so bored."

It's not about finding the right light to get the stones of an old building just right, or learning how to set the aperture just so, so that the background is fuzzy and the thing I've focused on is crystal clear.

It's about being fearless with a lens.  Not asking permission, but asking forgiveness later. 

I may be speaking craziness and have a bunch of people mad at me for not being a respectful amateur photographer.  

How is my newly decided philosophy any different than a professional photographer for National Geographic?  Do they obtain "yes" answers from every subject they photograph while they are shooting away?

I want this next couple of months to be about not necessarily getting better with my camera (because that could take Y-E-A-R-S) ... but about getting bolder with my photography.  

Spending less time regretting that I've passed up an amazing shot just because I was shy.  

What will your next couple of months be about?

CNN.com