MELBOURNE CUP

Last year when everyone started talking about the Melbourne Cup, I rolled my eyes and thought "how silly!"  At the time, I thought that a bunch of people gathering that early in the morning for a full buffet meal, unlimited champagne and ridiculous hats was just ... well, ridiculous.

This year though, I thought it should probably be added to my things that I'd be disappointed to have missed, so I purchased a ticket, a fascinator (a smaller version of the crazy hats) and off I went.

The Melbourne Cup is Australia's largest horse race, and has been held since 1861.  It is called the "race that stops a nation" and juding by the hoots and hollers when the race started (broadcast live here in Delhi), it truly is a yearly staple event for Aussies!

What fun!  Many, many charities benefitted from the morning's raffles, tombola and admission prices ... and it was great fun to see all of the amazing hats and outfits!











Next year, I've pledged to wear more than a fascinator, and judging by the other hats sitting atop those ladies' heads, I'd better start working on it now!

CNN.com