SALAAM BALAAK TRUST WALK


Our Seven Cities group went on a Salaam Balaak Trust Walk, as the gang is still getting together on a regular basis (which I think is so, so cool!).  I took crazy notes and filled about 20 notebook pages ... and now cannot find that notebook.  So I'm taking the lazy way out and am instead sending you over to my friend Sarah's blog for her recounting of the morning.  

I'll share my photos here with a bit of commentary, but Sarah captured it all amazingly well ....

Satendar and Ajay ::


Children along the walk ::


Kiddos playing video games ... who should really be in school ::


The heart of Salaam Balaak Trust is in Paharganj, a popular spot for hostels and backpackers.  This scene made me smile, not only for the spelling errors, but just seeing this motley crew trying to stay connected with loved ones ::




The entrance to the sheltered area near the Delhi Railway Station where the boys can go for any medical needs, a quick game of carrom, or some learning exercises ::








Satendar telling us about the Trust's ability to provide food and shelter to the boys who desire to stay (as one of the Trust employees carries up lunch for the waiting boys) ::





I have to be 100% honest and share with you that had I done this Walk shortly after our arrival to Delhi, my reactions would have been profoundly different.  There were many moments during the walk that newcomers would gasp at hearing of Satendar and Ajay's stories.  There were times that the newcomers would stop dead in their tracks at seeing a sight along our walk.

Those of us on the walk who had been in Delhi for a year or longer, merely nodded our heads and quite a few of the seasoned Delhi transplants in the group even broke off to have their own conversations during the walk.

I realized as I looked back through my photos, that I was more intrigued by the sights and sounds of the Railway Station and its surrounding area, since I've not spent much time in this part of Delhi, than I was focused on the sadness and difficulty that these boys have had.

Does that mean I'm hardened to the plight of some of these children?  I don't think so.

I don't think that my heart is closed off to this segment of Delhi's population, but it was difficult for me to realize that all along this walk, I was not as emotionally affected as I might have wished to be.

I do think that Satendar said it best (and helped to justify my strange disattachment to the plight of this boys (and girls)) when he explained that street children often do NOT go hungry, as they can eat for free at the Sikh temples.  He explained that they would often spend their money earned from the street corners on video games and drugs EACH day so that their bosses or older boys would not take the money from them.

He also explained that some boys and girls do NOT choose to stay with Salaam Balaak and instead return to the streets.  In fact, he himself said that he prefers the street life because of the freedom it affords, and the choices to make his own future.

Another interesting thing to note is that he suggested if expats or foreigners insist on handing out food to the beggars at street corners, that it only be opened packages of food.  Want to know why?  

Food packages that are UNopened will simply be turned around and sold, he said.

Regardless of how I was affected during the Walk, I DO feel that Salaam Balaak is doing an amazing, amazing thing ... and I'm very much a fan of it's "Sister" location, Arushi Girls Shelter. 


CNN.com