Just wondering ...

After an EXHAUSTING and maddening phone call with the customer service department of Microsoft XBox, I vented my frustration on my Facebook page and with Twitter.  As some responses came in, I started wondering about some things.  Mostly wondering about some things that concern ME and who I am.

The word prejudice is described as follows:

prej-u-dice
n.
1.
a. An adverse judgment/opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge/examination of the facts.
b. A preconceived preference or idea.
2. The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions. 
3. Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.
4. Detriment/injury caused to a person by the preconceived/unfavorable conviction of others.

I've always held myself out as a person who is NOT prejudiced.  After all, I have a black father, a white mother, an adopted brother, was a teen mother, a homeschooled student, obtained my GED at the age of 30.  I should be the poster child for someone who is NOT prejudiced.  I have always felt that I gave others the benefit of the doubt and didn't lump people together simply based on their skin color, religious preferences, voting habits or the way they talk.

Recent events have made me question my stand on whether or not I'm prejudiced.

Is it prejudice if it is simply aggravation?  Is it prejudice if your reaction is one of irritation because of circumstances and not a direct action that you take in acting ON that prejudice?


As you are well aware, most companies reroute their Customer Service and Call Centers to India.

Outsourced was a movie that was recommended to us several times over.  The summary is as follows:

When the call center he manages in Seattle is outsourced to India, Todd travels there to train his replacement. Housed in a new building that looks like an above-ground bunker, the call center is staffed by willing novices whom Todd trains to sound American. One star on the staff is Asha, who teaches Todd that he should learn about India, and proceeds to do just that.

One of the key phrases that stuck in my head was when Todd (otherwise known as Mr. Toad) attempted to teach the India natives about understanding the United States.  The only purpose of the call center was to sell merchandise similar to what you might find at Oriental Trading Company or Collectibles, Etc. and Todd said to his employees "You must learn USA."

He went on to explain that he couldn't really tell them why someone would buy a cheesehead made out of foam, or why there is such a thing manufactured as a portable hotdog roaster, but he said "it doesn't matter, you simply need to learn USA."  He also pointed out that many Americans are angry about jobs being outsourced ... and when they were asked where they were located, the Indians should respond "Chicaaahhhhgo" and if asked "what's the weather like", their response should be "oh, very windy, sir."

The catch phrase of this particular scene was when Asha, the female star of the movie said in response "No, Mr. Toad - YOU must learn INDIA."

That phrase has resonated deep in my heart ... I must learn India.  I need to teach my kiddos how to "learn India."

But am I a hypocrite if I want very badly to "learn India" but yet I sometimes can't stand to have a phone conversation during a customer service call?

Am I bound for trouble and likely to begin to hate that "lilted accent" when we arrive, when we are surrounded by the language barrier?

If you read my blog, but haven't yet weighed in with a comment, I'd love to hear from you. Whether you are currently living in India, or can't imagine ever relocating there ... give me your opinions.

What does "prejudice" mean to you.  Can someone NOT be prejudiced, but yet still harbor an annoyance for anything different than what they are accustomed to?

Looking forward to a healthy debate ... because I'm wondering.

CNN.com