VOIP & Skype

I literally learn something new every day through this process.

I have been scouring other blogs in the hopes of learning about the various telephone options for us in India.

Most important on this week's list has been figuring out a way for us to communicate with Todd for the three months we'll be separated. 

We've learned alot about Skype and Todd has ordered a webcam for his laptop.  We plan to video chat OFTEN, video chat SILLY and video chat bedtime stories!

We've learned alot about VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) .. actually MORE than I need to know.  Vonage is truly a COOL thing.  I'm excited to try it out AND have "free" phone calls back home!

I'm not one to sign up for anything on the first go-round though.  I get my information, think on it a bit, cost compare and talk it over with Todd.  In a grand gesture of amazing customer service, I received 7 phone calls from Vonage, after my initial fact-finding call of this morning.  They really want to make sure they get you signed up!

It was a good thing though, really.  We ended up with all normal start-up costs waived, and the VOIP device is even being shipped to us for free.  Score.  Or maybe everyone gets that "deal", and they just like to make you feel special?

We've got a cool new number, which allows us to make FREE calls to the Vonage number (which Todd will have in India with him) from our (440) area code.  For those of you outside of the (440) area code, normal long distance fees will apply when you call (NO international crazy fees here!).

Once Todd arrives and gets settled, I'll pass along the new Vonage number to friends/family.  If you're so inclined, download Skype and get it ready to rock on your computer.  It's another free service - allowing you to have regualr chats, video chats and supposedly computer-to-computer calls as well.

The information/technology highway is a cool thing indeed!

CNN.com