Say it out loud

I think I'm like most women out there. I "handle" the inside duties as it relates to everything domestic and household, and Husb handles the outside duties.

The lawn, the trash, the edging, the weed-eating, the pressure washing, the driveway lights, the pond maintenance, the sump pump.

All of those chores belong to Husb. I quite think he enjoys those chores and has never once complained about them. Not once.

Every time he'd head out to complete a chore though, I would inwardly roll my eyes. I could never figure out why it took so long to edge the lawn, or why it took such a ridiculous amount of tools for one small job. I got frustrated when the length of the project was extended because he insisted on putting everything back in its place, sweeping up, and cleaning everything before finishing.

Since last week, when Husb headed to Delhi, I have become very aware of the little things that I have taken for granted.

The grass that is slowly creeping up around my flower beds, the unfinished projects in the garage (because it is not instilled in me to 100% complete a task), the driveway lights that are WAY off schedule since the sun is "staying awake" later and later every night.

With that realization has also come the understanding that I don't think I ever once told Husb thank you for his attention to detail around here. I don't think that I ever showed any appreciation for what he took care of and what he contributed to around the house.

I'm going to do that today. When we talk next, which will be when he's hopefully trying to get some sleep, I am going to say it out loud. I'm going to tell him thank you for all of the little things, and the big things, that he does for me and for us.

Do you make a habit of saying it out loud?

We think it to ourselves - random thoughts of gratefulness - but what if we all practiced saying it out loud?

CNN.com